Law Office of Michael L. Fell
900 Roosevelt Irvine, CA 92620
(949) 585-9055

Could a Restraining Order Prevent a Student from Graduating? Yes – But You Can Take Steps to Prevent This

When a student has a restraining order filed against them, it can cause trouble in ways they might never have expected. One example is that it could prevent them from graduating. How? Keep reading to learn more. If you have been charged with a college crime, contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at (949) 585-9055 to request a free legal consultation to find out how we can help.

What is a Restraining Order?

A restraining order, which is sometimes referred to as a protective order or a non-contact order, is an order the court issues that requires that the person it is issued against must stay away from someone. If you are the person it is issued against, then this means you cannot go near the person who filed it. You cannot go near their home, their work – or their school. You cannot contact them via text, email, phone, or any other method.

Restraining Orders Amongst Schoolmates

If you do go to school with someone who files a restraining order against you, it could be impossible to complete your degree. For example, if you are a senior and only need a few classes to graduate, and the person who filed the order is in the same degree program and also a senior, then you might not be able to take the classes you need.

Do Not Risk Violating the Restraining Order

Some people might think that they will have no option other than to violate the restraining order. They often assume that the risk of doing so is less than the consequences of not getting the classes they need. However, this can be a serious charge.

The first time, you will face a misdemeanor charge. Do not make the mistake of thinking that is “no big deal” – a misdemeanor charge for violating a restraining order can result in up to a year in jail and fines of as much as $1,000. The second time you are convicted of this crime, you could face up to three years in prison and fines of as much as $10,000.

There is a Better Option

The better option is to contact a criminal defense attorney and find out how we can help you have the order terminated. We will work with you to apply to the court for the restraining order to be modified or, preferably, lifted altogether. We can show the changes you have made, and we can show that you need the courses in order to graduate.

Does this always work? No – but it is the better option. Do not give up and do not assume that violating the restraining order is “no big deal.” Contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at (949) 585-9055 to request a free legal consultation.