Law Office of Michael L. Fell
900 Roosevelt Irvine, CA 92620
(949) 585-9055

1203.4 Dismissal

Click here for a Free Consultation

1203.4 Dismissal

Tired of an old conviction limiting your job prospects? Consider a 1203.4 dismissal.

The 1203.4 dismissal is the technical name for the procedure used to accomplish California expungements.

Here’s how it works:

  • You file a request for an expungement (1203.4 dismissal) with help from Attorney Fell.
  • The judge sets aside your guilty plea, no-contest plea, or conviction from the original case.
  • The judge substitutes a not guilty plea.
  • The judge dismisses your case.

Now you may wonder…

…what does it mean for the judge to dismiss my case after my conviction?

It means that in the eyes of the law, you were never convicted. This is slightly different than a true expungement, because the record of the events leading up to the conviction will still remain on your permanent record for anyone who runs a background check to see.

However, instead of a conviction, they will now see a dismissal.

How long does it take to secure a 1203.4 dismissal?

The amount of time that it takes to secure a 1203.4 dismissal varies slightly by county, but in general you can receive your dismissal within a month or two of filing your petition.

However, you do need to bear in mind that you cannot file for a dismissal immediately after your conviction. You will need to wait until you have successfully completed your sentence and your probation. If you were not required to complete probation, you will have to wait a year.

In the case of longer probation terms, Attorney Fell can help you submit a petition for early termination of probation along with your 1203.4 dismissal request to help expedite the process.

How do I know if I qualify for a 1203.4 dismissal?

Most individuals who have been convicted of misdemeanor or felony charges (other than certain sex crimes) will qualify for a 1203.4 dismissal, provided that they were not required to serve time in state prison.

The best way to determine if you qualify is to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney like Michael L. Fell for his professional opinion.

Talk to Attorney Fell Today

If you would like more information about hiring Attorney Fell to help you with a 1203.4 dismissal petition, please contact us at (949) 585-9055.