Law Office of Michael L. Fell
900 Roosevelt Irvine, CA 92620
(949) 585-9055

Unregistered Guns in California: Learn What You Can Do to Get on the Right Side of the Law

If you know that you are in possession of an unregistered gun, you may be worried about what your options are. You may assume that no matter what, you are guilty of a firearm violation and will end up serving time in jail if you are caught. This may not be the cause. There are options that may clear up the situation for you. If you are facing this, we recommend you contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at (949) 585-9055 right away for a free legal consultation with a criminal defense attorney.

Firearm Ownership Report Application

Referred to as the FOR Application, a Firearm Ownership Report Application can allow you to register a gun that was not previously registered in California. This is a voluntary application that does list you as the owner of the firearm. Note that you cannot use this form to register what the state considers to be an assault weapon.

Most Firearms Do Not Require an FOR Application

Note that not all guns or firearms require an FOR Application – in fact, most do not. Most guns are registered with the gun dealer when the sale is completed. However, you may need to register it on your own. For example, if a gun is lost or stolen it may be returned to the person who has registered it this way. If the gun is not registered then it will not be returned.

You Could Face Legal Trouble for Submitting an FOR Application

In some instances, you could be facing legal trouble if you submit this application. If you are accused of possessing an illegal assault weapon, the form can be used as evidence. Additionally, the person you bought or received the weapon through could be charged with illegally transferring a firearm. This is one of the reasons that you want to work with an attorney to determine your best way forward.

You Are Required to Provide a Wealth of Information on the Application

If you decide to fill out the form, you will need to provide your personal information and contact information, the location of your birth, your citizenship status and ID info (including a copay of your ID card or license), your Handgun Safety Certificate number, and any aliases you have been or are currently known by.

You will need to provide information about the weapon you are declaring including the type of gun it is, if it is a handgun or long gun, the serial number, color, make and model, barrel length, caliber, origin, and how and when you acquired it.

Is this the best option if you have an unregistered firearm? It may be but there could be other preferable options. We invite you to contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at (949) 585-9055 today to determine the best way for you to proceed with your situation.