Law Office of Michael L. Fell
900 Roosevelt Irvine, CA 92620
(949) 585-9055

Have You Been Accused of Contempt of Court? Learn How Michael L. Fell Can Help

Many people know everything about contempt of court from TV procedurals. While it may sometimes be used as a dramatic plot point in a drama, it is a real criminal offense that comes with consequences. Read on to learn more about it and how Law Office of Michael L. Fell may be able to defend you from these charges.

Disobeying a Judge is Contempt of Court

To put it simply, when you disobey a judge you are acting in contempt of court. This is true whether you do so in person by acting out or whether you do so by ignoring a ruling by a judge. In some cases, contempt of court is just one of several charges you could face for the same infraction.

Common Examples of Contempt of Court

You may wonder: What are some common examples of contempt of court? This could include violating any order from a judge such as a restraining order, firearm restriction, child support order, restitution, spouse support, or an order to appear in court. Other examples include violating an injunction against demonstrations.

The Prosecution Must Prove Many Things to Win Their Case

You should take any charge of contempt of court seriously but know that an attorney like Law Office of Michael L. Fell can help fight your case. In order for the prosecution to prove your case they must first prove that the court order in question was lawful. They must prove that you knew about the order. Finally, they must prove that you deliberately disobeyed the order even though you could have done so. All we need to do is prove that one of these points is inaccurate.

Restraining Order Cases Are Unique

In the event you are accused of violating a restraining order that was issued due to an alleged domestic violence event, alleged stalking case, or alleged elder abuse, you can be facing much more significant penalties than people do for other similar cases. If you are on probation or parole, a contempt of court case can be even more serious as well.

Call a Defense Attorney Now for Help with Contempt of Court Cases

If you have been accused of or arrested for contempt of court then we strongly recommend you contact Law Office of Michael L. Fell at (949) 585-9055 right away. We can start with a free case evaluation during which we will assess the case against you, talk to you about your options, and determine if we are the best law firm for your needs.

Do not wait to see what will happen. Do not assume that you will see nothing more than a slap on the wrist. This is a serious charge that should be taken seriously – take action today.